Virtual Private Server or VPS in short, is more than a shared server and is not less than a dedicated standalone server. Basically you use a portion of a dedicated server with other users. That makes it cheaper than dedicated web hosting. Simply put, nothing in a Virtual Private Server is different from multiple servers in another server, each Virtual Private Server looks, behaves and acts like a dedicated server but uses (shares) the same hardware. The concept is not new. In the past there were some drawbacks to this shared VPS hosting, such as the dependence on other users on the virtual machine. When a user made errors in the Virtual Server it could happen that the entire web server went down with all its consequences. Furthermore, it was a fairly complicated thing to make everything function flawlessly on software such as MySQL, PHP and the like, and it was also a labor intensive process to keep all accounts operating on one web server. With Virtuozzo these issues have been resolved.
With a Virtuozzo Containers Web interface, you can manage your virtual infrastructure with a few clicks, create a cluster with multiple servers or migrate without interruption of service, etc. With its extensive features, you can use Virtuozzo Containers to manage, install and remove services, manage resources, or "templates" apply on existing VPS, etc. Virtual Private Servers (VPS) that are developed based on Virtuozzo Containers simply perform better. Virtuozzo is able to divide your online working environment into a number of independently operating, virtual servers or containers. It ensures that only the Operating System (OS) is virtualized, so the overhead (loss of power and memory) is low. With the advanced techniques of Virtuozzo the use of Virtual Private Servers is optimal and there is a higher density level reached at the global level. This increases the efficiency of virtual and individual servers significantly and allows fast, stable and cost-effective VPS. Virtuozzo can make a large number of virtual servers to function properly independently of each other, all running on one physical server only.
1) It uses less power compared to a Dedicated Server.
2) Applications can be installed on each VPS independently.
3) It is possible to do maintenance and updates to the server for all virtual servers at once.
4) Virtuozzo is quick and easy to use.
5) It is possible to scale, upgrade and migrate the server without downtime.
6) The virtualization software ensures that the containers can be started, stopped and restarted separately at any time.
7) Virtuozzo provides the scalability of a Virtual Private Server. If after some time more space, bandwidth or computing power are needed, a seamless upgrade belongs to the possibilities. You only pay for the resources that you need and if you want to upgrade to a heavier VPS or Dedicated Server, this can be done without downtime or a complex migration process. Thanks to virtualization, you or your hosting service should be able to respond fast and accurate to new developments or workarounds while power consumption of web servers is considerably reduced. This makes the environment less stressful and the operational costs of managing the infrastructure will be lower than before.
Your web hosting provider or you.
Keep in mind, that you or your web hosting provider (if managed by them) should have experience in applying virtualization into existing infrastructures and the creation of new virtualized infrastructures. Moreover, experience in and knowledge of troubleshooting is another requirement for hosting services. If you decide to let your provider manage your account, you should first ask some high level technical questions before making a decision. Preferably your host should have a number of experts working for them in specialized fields related to the complicated environment of virtual web servers so you can be assured of high quality. Managing a server is a difficult and time consuming task. It requires permanent attention so that you can take instant measures if something goes wrong. Many web hosts offer to do this for you at additional cost. How much this costs depends on the question if your provider has in-house experts or others. If a host has no in-house specialists to do the job, the price will usually be higher. The advantage of host managing is that you will have more time to maintain your web site and to take care of SEO. The task includes making daily backups which is not really easy as well. The best is to make use of a separate backup web server. You will also have to include measures that make retrieving your backup quick and easy. Last but not least you will sometimes have to download and install additional software programs. When you opt for managed services the web host will do the installation and possible related troubleshooting for you.
The advantages of Virtuozzo VPS are obvious. On the other hand it could be a disadvantage if the web hosting account holder decides to handle everything without involving the web host's specialists while there's a lack of knowledge, skills or experience on his or her part. Last but not least let me say that this article is not waterproof. After all, the Web is ever-changing and new, more advanced techniques and hosting systems are popping up all the time. This is the end of this document. Finally, may I invite you to read the banner at the top of this page so you can take a look at one of the best Virtuozzo providers? Thanks for reading and if you would like to learn more, you can watch the video below.